Photo credit: 1QFoodPlatter — by Akpo Uyeh
Take a break from the usual routine of cooking rice every Sunday. Why not try something new? Like Seafood Okra soup.
It is perfect for this weather especially when served hot and spiced with pepper. The benefits of okra are numerous.
Being a vegetable, it has dietary fibre and low calorie content.
Now, to the best part of seafood okra soup- it can be served with any seafood of choice or swallow as you please. Whether eaten alone within the confines of ones space or in company of family and friends, seafood okra is one sure meal that wont be eaten once but again and again surely ):
Photo credit: Nigerian Food — by Akpo Uyeh
1/2 kg of Shrimps or prawns
1/2kg of fresh fish, cut into chunks
2 crabs, cleaned and dressed
1 dry fish, soaked and washed
2 1/2 cups of okra , chopped and finely sliced
1 small bunch vegetables, sliced
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons of ground crayfish
Dry pepper or chilli flakes to taste
1. Place the seafood (fresh fish, crab, prawns and shrimps) and two cups of water in a pot. Add seasoning cube , 1/2 onion, salt and ground pepper.
2. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until shrimps and prawns have turned pink or seafood is well-cooked
3. Blend half the okra, the remaining onion and fresh pepper. Then, set aside
4. heat up palm oil in medium pot, then add the blended okra mix and crayfish and fry for about 4 minutes, stirring continuously
5. Add the meat stock in bits and stir, and then carefully add cooked seafood. Leave to cook for about 3 minutes
6. Taste and adjust salt, pepper and seasoning as desired
7. Add the remaining chopped okra and cook fro 2 minutes
8. Stir in the sliced vegetables and take off the heat
9. Serve hot alone or with 'swallow' of choice e.g eba, semovita, amala, pounded yam
Photo credit: Sisi Yemmie — by Akpo Uyeh