Find Most Popular Birthday Cake with Different Flavors
Birthdays are an important and special occasion in each and every person's life whether they are turning 10 or 50....
Groundnut, otherwise known as peanuts, is a legume crop grown because of its edible seeds. It is known to be a good snack especially before the main meal. Now, groundnut can be used to make soups and stews.
Speaking of soups. groundnut soup is a staple African delicacy. However, it is also eaten in East Asia, the United States and other areas around the world. Groundnut soup is nutritious. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants; that give energy. It is increases good cholesterol in the body and promotes growth since it is very rich in proteins. It is also good for the skin and hair. That being said, groundnut soup is a meal every home should try out, to think that it is quite easy to prepare.
-500g raw peeled groundnuts(peanuts)
-Assorted meat/ Fish( e.g stock fish,dry fish, beef)
-A small bunch of Nigerian Pumpkin leaves/ 6 cubes Frozen Spinach or Bitterleaf
-2 tablespoons ground crayfish
-2 big stock cubes
-ground dry pepper
-Salt to taste
Kindly do the following before you start cooking the groundnut soup:
– Soak the stockfish and dry fish for a few hours. The length of time depends on how hard the stock fish is. Some even need to be boiled a bit. Mine soaks in under 1 hour. When soft, clean the fish, remove the bones and separate them into small pieces.
– Roast groundnut in a pan and stir constantly. Set aside to cool down completely then grind into powder with a dry mill.
– Wash and cut the Nigerian pumpkin leaves and cut into tiny pieces. If using frozen spinach, cut into small pieces and wring out the excess water when fully defrosted.
– Prepare other ingredients: grind the pepper and grind the crayfish.
– Start cooking the assorted meat first as it is the toughest meat in the bunch. Always keep water to the same level as the contents of the pot and top it up as you cook.
–Then add the dry fish and stock fish.
– When the assorted meat is almost done, add beef and stock cubes and cook till all the meat and fish are well done.
– Add the crayfish, salt and pepper, cover and cook till it boils.
– Transfer the meat and fish to another pot/container leaving the stock in the pot.
– Add the grounded groundnuts and stir very well till there are no lumps. Reduce the heat to very low and start cooking.
– Stir every 5 minutes and top up the water if necessary. This mixture burns easily, so watch it closely and stir as often as necessary.
– Cook till a thin film of clear oil appears on the surface. This should take about 15 minutes.
– Add palm oil and stir very well.
– Add the beef and fish, stir and cook on low heat till it boils. For those who prefer their groundnut soup without vegetables, the soup is ready at this time. If you prefer it with vegetables then;
– Add the vegetables, stir and leave to simmer. Stir again and voila! It is done.
Serve groundnut soup with rice, spagetti, pounded cassava flour or semovita.